- Sourashtra College was started functioning from June 1967 with donations from Philanthropists by the Sourashtra College Council members. The College is located in Vilachery Main Road, Madurai, at the slope of Pasumalai Hill, near Tirupparankundram. It is situated in 28.17 acres of land in a hillock area. The campus provides an excellent atmosphere conducive to calm pursuit of knowledge and development of strong character.
The objectives of the Sourashtra College Council are – to impart education to poor students, particularly the students belonging to the Sourashtra Community which is linguistic minority community; and provide facilities for specialized studies in Arts, Science, Commerce, Computer, Professional, Technical and Research.
During the year 2006 the College was accredited with B++ Grade by the NAAC. Autonomous status was awarded by the University Grants Commission from the academic year 2011-12. Further, the College was reaccredited with B Grade in January 2013.
The College is a Linguistic Minority Co-educational Institution affiliated to Madurai Kamaraj University. It offers both Aided Courses and Self-Finance Courses, including two AICTE approved courses viz. M.B.A. and M.C.A. It gives priority to the poor students belonging to Sourashtra Community during admission. It has 16 buses to facilitate girls’ students of Aided and Self Finance Courses. It has a powerful Generator which provides uninterrupted power supply for the welfare of the students’ community. In addition, the college management provides hygienic mineral drinking water for all students and staffs.
The College has a strong Alumni Association which provides Free Noon Meals to poor students as one of its activities. The Alumni Association donates water tanks, Steel Almirahs regularly. Activities like career and vocational guidance, spoken English classes, aptitude test classes are also carried out by this Association at free of cost to the needy students. During the year 2012, the Association constructed and donated a SCAAN Building to the Sourashtra College Council. For this purpose, the required land, water and electricity was provided by the Sourashtra College Council.
The Management of Sourashtra College Council also runs a Women College from 1998 which is especially meant for girl students.
- We envisage the steady progress of the grass roots of the society in general, and the upliftment of the economically, socially and educationally backward Sourashtra youth in particular, by providing a conducive environment to prepare for their successful take-off in their careers and also in real life as responsible citizens of India.
- Our objective is to work as an ensemble with a commitment to inspire our students to acquire physical strength, intellectual curiosity and moral integrity. Most importantly we strive to inculcate an aptitude for service to build a mutually supportive, communally co-operative and religiously tolerant society.
- Sourashtra College Alumni Association (SCANN)
- A Career Guidance Cell has been formed in the college to provide information relating to job opportunities available for the students and to organize awareness campaign so that the youth may be the true beneficiaries for a prospective future.